Historic Homes on the National Road is a historic home tour located in Wayne County this year featuring three houses on the National Road. You can get tickets on Eventbrite or call 317-822-7939. You may also come day off and pay at the door. INRA members receive a discount on each ticket. The tour takes place on November 4th 2PM to 5PM. The homes can be visited in any order and toured during the duration.
In 1849 Jacob Julian constructed a brick home on a small rise overlooking the National Road at the East edge of Centerville in a copse of trees. In 1857 he sold his home to Oliver P. Morton. Morton was a lawyer and aspiring politician; he lived here while he was running for the office of Lieutenant Governor and when he was Governor of the State of Indiana. He was an especially able administrator who quickly put well equipped and supplied troops in the field to support the Union administration of President Lincoln. He was called the soldiers’ friend because he was looking out for their well being during and after the Civil War. Morton lived in the home until 1862 when he sold the home and moved to Indianapolis. This is the only home Morton ever owned that is still standing. Morton took positions that encouraged full Civil Rights for Black people and for women, including voting, while he was a Reconstruction Senator.
The Oliver P. Morton House is currently a restoration in progress. This Federal Brick home retains much of it's original features and continues to impress up on a hill overlooking the National Road in Centerville. The Morton House is privately owned and not open to the public.
The Rariden House
120 W. Main St. Centerville, IN
In 1838 James Rariden, U.S. Representative to Congress (Whig) from the Whitewater Valley, purchased the east side of a row house in Centerville, Indiana. While in Washington, D. C. he met the Whig party leader Henry Clay. In 1842 Henry Clay resigned his Senate seat and traveled home down the National Road reminding the residents how much he had done to support internal improvements. At the Ohio/Indiana state line he was met by the Indiana welcoming committee chaired by James Rariden. While in Richmond Clay visited with the Quaker Annual Meeting, was confronted by Hiram Mendenhall, and Rariden had a reception for Clay before Clay spent the night in Rariden’s home.
The Rariden House is a stunning in tact example of a Federal Row House on the National Road in Centerville. The house was beautifully restored and a view of the interior can be seen below. This is a privately owned home not open to the public.
The Huddleston Farmhouse
838 National Rd. Cambridge City, IN
The Huddleston Farmhouse was built in 1841 by John and Susanna Huddleston. The home was built right on the National Road to serve two functions, the first as a family farmhouse and the second as an "Inn" on the National Road. The barn had extra stalls for traveler's animals while the basement featured two traveler's kitchens that could be rented for a quarter a night. Many traveler's simply camped out in the yard and purchased a hot meal from Susanna or supplies from John. The Huddleston Farmhouse is on the National Register for it's importance in the westward migration of people in our Nation's History. The Farmhouse continued to operate as an inn serving traveler's until 1856 when the rail roads greatly reduced the need for such places. Today the Farmhouse operates as a House Museum only open by appointment and contains the National Road Heritage Site, installed in 2011. A picture of the downstairs exhibit dedicated to the National Road can be seen below.